Wednesday 16 January 2013

A day in the life of Ross' procrastination

Procrastination to, me is an annoying word to both say and look at. However, it represents quite a large portion of my university life. I am sure that most students that read this will also agree that procrastination plays a large part in their studies and time at university. There is just something so easy, so simple and so joyful about it. 

For those lacking the definition of procrastination - 

pro·cras·ti·na·tion

 [proh-kras-tuh-ney-shuh n, pruh]  Show IPA


noun
the act or habit of procrastinatingor putting off or delaying, especially something requiring immediateattention: Ross was smart, but his constant procrastination led him to be late with almost every assignment.


In a simple mans (or girls) terms - Doing EVERYTHING but the work you are suppose to be doing. 

If you want to see it in pictures - 

                                     


                                            

                                  What I should be doing 










                                                 What I'm really doing







There is another picture I like to use to represent this common situation




Before I continue I will of course excuse the people that have complete and utter motivation towards everything they do; how they do it I don't have a f*cking clue. 


Anyway. 
So I go to bed last night thinking that today (16/01/2013) will be a nice productive day and I will get plenty done and get myself sorted for coursework hand-ins and my exam next week. Saying that, I always go to bed with this fantastic mindset that each next day will be one full of motivation and productivity; god knows where that idea goes by the morning. 

I get to university in the morning and my lecturer has not turned up for our lecture, so immediately I think 'sweet this gives me an extra hour to crack on with some work'. O how I fool myself. I go downstairs and log onto a computer, I then proceed to log onto Facebook which is a must because so much has happened since I checked it the previous night - Time wasted. I then decide to play a Facebook game, which leads to playing 5 Facebook games - Time wasted. After this I decide, right it's time to get on with some work, so I open up my Uni emails to check for any relevant news. This then leads me to looking through my emails in my 2 other email accounts - Time wasted. Following this I finally load up the work I need to be getting on with, but obviously I can't do any work without having a snack and something to quench my first; so I pop to the cafe to make my stomach happy - Time wasted. 

It seems ridiculous looking back on it now, but everything I wrote above ended up using up that spare hour I had to get on with my work. I had to get to my next class, so logged off the computer and went on my way. 

The problem is, it doesn't end at Uni, I even plan what I am going to do in the evening in regards to work; and it is a rare occasion if I complete what my mind has set out to do. I have always been told to plan ahead, get organised and know what I want to do with a day. Well I do this, but somehow it all flies out the window as the hours tick by. 

The days procrastinating did not end with that though, no way was I done with this spree of procrastination. A seasoned pro like myself makes a day of it! 

I get home, with full intentions to do some revision for my exam next week, but first things first, have something to eat and check Facebook (So sad the more I think about it). After this I decide I need to take a break and watch something, so I put on some Geordie Shore for a bit. 3 episodes and 2 hours 15 minutes later, it's time to do some work. Then I decide I am going to the gym tonight, so plan out my gym session for the evening and sort out what time I am going. Then I was ready, no distractions, nothing to stop me doing what I need to do. So I actually got all my work out ready to start revision and crack on; but no. Of course not. 

Guess what I ended up doing? 

Writing this. 

Procrastination - A savior, most likely causing my failure. 

Thanks for reading, stay tuned. 




No comments:

Post a Comment